Sunday, January 4, 2015

Illustration Friday: Invention

Sometimes my brain is an idea machine, shooting out more and more ideas, faster and faster, shaking and creaking while, thrilled by the abundance, I try to gather, sort, plan, and store for later.  But after awhile I panic, like Lucy and Ethel in the candy factory. I'm up to my knees in shiny dreams, I don't know how I'm ever going to have the time for anything, and the idea machine spits out some stinky smoke and slumps into silence.

That happened a few days ago. I was overwhelmed by possibilities and knew I needed some help to sort things out. I talked with my husband and he reminded me that he wants me to make him a ring. Not the input I was looking for. I have not been inspired by the type of carving he's wanted on it.

Then I had one more idea."If you want I'll make you a Madonna and Child ring." His eyes opened wide with recognition and he said "Yes," in a loud, firm voice. So I am making him a silver signet ring for his birthday with a Madonna and Child. Which dovetails neatly with some other plans and ideas.  I'm delighted! I'll be posting sketches and a rough carving soon.

Lucy is in line for the next ring after that, something sweet and flowery I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment